Monday, July 16, 2012

Reflection Journals.

I wanted to write a crock & bull story about how the media forced me to buy so many useless stuff but as I did, this story took shape. I guess, no matter how we try to hide it, the truth comes calling eventually.


Question: 2) Share an experience where you had been very much influenced by a media message. What was the result? What would you do differently after today’s lesson?




"You need to buy this now and your life will be
complete" or "Smell like Beyonce and you will be forever
popular and rich and happy". On a daily basis this is
what the media tell the average teenage girl. I myself
am no exception. Everywhere we look, the media is subtly
controlling the way we dress, the way we look, talk,
walk and even sleep. Media controls everything, yet at
the same time, we are the media. We convey their
messages like brainless droids, bowing down to the
Media's command.

Today's RJ will be about a vicious cycle that has no
end. This is what the media has made me. For me, the
media has one message, you are not good enough. On TV or
in the magazines, I was never like those girls.Every
other girl was, why wasn't I? I felt like an outcast.

I felt the full power of this message when I turned 16
and I was deemed not pretty enough or thin enough by
what seemed like everyone. When I was 16, I withdrew
into myself. I was loud and obnoxious. Yes, I know that
people who withdraw into their selves aren't loud but
for me I felt like I put myself into a small safe box,
one that nobody could reach.The surface me was replaced
by a brass, rude, loud, obnoxious, know-it-all. What
people said to me didn't matter. Nothing did. You dint
like my voice? Your bad. You think I'm annoying? What do
I care?

This went on for so many years and I realize that the
worst part of this was, that I never learnt to listen.
For so many years, I screened everything out that not
listening to the bad was the way I learnt to move on.
Because of this, I've had to learn lessons the harder
way. Only now, at the peak of turning 21 and am finally
learning that not everybody cares how I look and sound
and some people genuinely want the best for me.

I guess what I'd do after today's lesson is to learn to
take the media a little less seriously, after all, isn't
the media just a fantasy world? Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment