Sunday, December 22, 2013

You feel me?

I feel like this is something that should be said:

Don't be a victim of your own thoughts. Every time you put yourself down, you shortchange yourself.

"I'm not smart enough" - Just by thinking that, you've already lost 3/4 of the battle. It sounds cocky but if you don't believe in yourself; who will? Sometimes I get really mad at myself for belittling my own worth. Every time I refuse to take a stand, or to really work for something, I lose out on something that had the potential to be life-changing. The worst part is, we often trade off these life-changing moment for a couple moments of feeling 'safe'. In other words, we'd rather not have amazing, soul-renewing, center-finding moments because we'd rather stay in our comfort zones. The best quote I've heard describe this is this:

" A ship in the habour is safe; but that is not what ships are made for "

Ships were made to cross oceans, to find new land, to bring you to all the amazing cultures and people that this planet can offer. They were made to stay afloat through storms and crashing waves, they were built for amazing feats, exactly like what we were made for. The comfort zone represents our habour, do you really want to be docked in the habour your whole life? To never taste authentic paella, to never see dolphins twirl and jump through waves? To never catch a snowflake in your hands? To never have the satisfaction of conquering a fear or a goal? Do you never want to be proud of yourself? 

It's hard, I know. Some days I feel useless and stagnant. Like I wasted my last dollar on an ice-cube that melted before I had the chance to taste the cool. It feels like I'll die soon, nothing to show for the time that I'm alive. It feels like there's a jarring silence at the back of my head, ringing in my ears telling me to stop. My lips droop, my eyes only open halfway and nothing - nothing can convince me that every thing will work out. I falter on these days. I take it one breathe at a time, one heart beat at a time. Sometimes it passes in a day, and sometimes it takes a few weeks - but it does. It passes. 

When it does, I remind myself all over again, you are the most important person to yourself - and you are. If you wouldn't call a friend fat or ugly or a dumb-skunk-filled-trash-for-brains-asshole, then why the hell would you call yourself that?! Do you know how hard your body works to keep you alive? The beating it takes from when you're insecure about the fats that make sure your internal organs are well-protected? From you hating the color of your skin and hair - of which it had no control over? From you hating acne which is basically caused by your skin trying to compensate for itself? Your body works 24/7 for you and you dare insult it? When you hate yourself - you lack respect for your body. Please, it won't be easy, but you need to realize and appreciate what you have. You are alive - your body has kept you alive. Be thankful, love it. Keep it happy and healthy. 

You hate yourself because you don't respect yourself - and  you don't respect yourself because you don't understand that miracle that you are. A living, breathing miracle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment